Monday, April 13, 2015

Girls in Pearls.

 Women of the world! 

Do yourself a favor and put on every pearl you own at the same time. Drape them one after the other shamelessly. Wear as many accessories as you'd like and pair them with any outfit you'd like. And if anyone has the audacity to ask you what you are wearing, please feel free to answer "Whatever the fuck I feel like" and if that is to colorful for you or you feel you may need more explanation, answer "Because I am a Woman and I am ______" (beautiful, fabulous, powerful, amazing, lovely, flawless).


If it's not working for you, if it doesn't make you feel confident, change it. Change the whole damn look until you look in the mirror and can't help but think "damnnnn". And I don't mean perfection, because let's face it, everything they say about it is true. I'm tired of women, myself included, looking in the mirror and thinking "this is as good as it's gonna get". False, you are fucking awesome and every little thing you put on your body, from your eyeliner to sweatpants that are 2 sizes too big, is awesome by association. 
Too often, I see the possibilities that come with being a girl as pressure. 
Too often, I think I have to wear the perfect color nail polish to match an outfit, when really it's just awesome that the tips of my fingers can be any color I can dream of. 


Too often, I worry about getting my bangs cut just right, when really I live in a world with infinite hair options. Have you been on Pinterest? How in the world can I justify worrying about something that, by definition, is limitless? The worst hair day could lead to the best, new, bold, hairdo, cut or color choice.  


Too often, I feel like I can't wear that dress, because my hair isn't straightened or those jeans because the rain jacket I have to wear will make my whole outfit look baggy. Yes, I realize this all sounds insane, but I think its normal to make rules and standards for ourselves. The other day I told my cousin that I couldn't pull off a horizontal striped dress while I was currently wearing a horizontally striped shirt. I looked down at my own t-shirt and thought "really, Kate?". Since when did I stop playing dress up and start making blatantly ridiculous boundaries about what is okay for me to wear? 
Yea, fuck that. 

Story time: Probably close to 10 years ago, I bought (okay, my mom bought) a very expensive leather jacket from Buckle right when it first opened, but before leather jackets made their revival. So pretty much this jacket, that I loved from the moment I saw it, just sat in my closet because I had all these ideas that I wasn't edgy enough to pull it off, or I didn't have the right outfit to match. Every time I worked up the nerve to wear it out, someone would make a comment and I was extremely sensitive, even when someone would just point out the fact that I was wearing a leather jacket. I would take it off quickly after it made an entrance. My own insecurities are such a kill joy.
It wasn't until literally EVERYONE was wearing leather that I was comfortable enough to rock what I had been trying on over and over for years. 

But now, 3+ years later I am still rocking this leather jacket. I've had it for 10 years and I guarantee I will be actually wearing it for another 10. It taught me such a valuable lesson. That being, if something makes me feel good, I'm not going to let anyone, especially myself, change that happiness.  


That being said, we need to stop judging people for wearing platform heels to Starbucks or tattooing their whole bodies or piercing more than just their ears or wearing turtlenecks and long denim skirts. People make decisions about what to put on their bodies every day and I think they pick and choose based on who they are or what makes them feel good. I wish we lived in a world that wasn't made up of other peoples' opinions, but the truth is other peoples nasty looks and words can stunt or even cripple a persons unique style. Just because it doesn't make you happy, doesn't give you the right to take away someone else's happiness. My point being, don't be the person that makes that makes someone feel like they should take off their leather jacket. It's just an object on a human being that should not be objectively critiqued. 

Be who you are, because you are fucking beautiful.
 -that one girl. 
"She is unstoppable"
Pearl by Katy Perry
Before Katy sold her artistic soul to make more money. I swear if I hear one more artist tell me "I just want to make people dance with my next album" I'm gonna barf all over the place. 


2 comments:

  1. I have a faux leather jacket with spikes in my closet that I've only worn twice ;) Along with many other items that I just can't seem to pull off in Monmouth! Let's go out somewhere we can where our crazy fashions! Also lets have a date soon so we can plan out (dream about) dance team stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That stripe comment! I was thinking about that reading the first paragraph. You're wonderful and I'm so proud of you!! Love you so much, Kate. xo

    ReplyDelete