Friday, March 6, 2015

Driving Lessons

I'd just like to start out apologizing before I have something to actually apologize for. I was born boy-crazy. I've been telling boys I was going to marry them since I was 5.  I never phased out of it and I stopped apologizing for it a long time ago.

However, when Joel and I kissed everything changed and all of that crazy all-over-the-place obsession, infatuation and lust became concentrated on one man. He isn't perfect, in fact he is the most perfectly flawed human being on the planet. Today, will be the first of a long line of frequent posts and shout-outs (and possibly some all out bragging) about Joel. See, I've purposefully made this man the center of my existence. If my life were a solar system there would be two suns and everything would orbit around both of us and pale in comparison in every characteristic. He is the greatest man I've ever known and I will toot his horn until the day I die. 




So, here we go.. 
Joel Steven Brunello, is not a patient man. He will admit he's not. He doesn't wait well. He tracks his 2 day Amazon shipping, he gives Netflix about .8 seconds to load an entire movie before checking the Wi-Fi connection and he is the grand grill and microwave master strictly because it is faster. He is a firm supporter of instant gratification and does not accept any inefficiency of time.
But, Joel is a teacher. He respects a persons ability to learn on their own time and will never rush the process. He steps into a zone and I don't recognize him. He is committed to the task and has such a soft and approachable way of communicating, without arrogance and sounding like he is talking down to you.
Today, we took Miss Holly, his baby sister, on a driving lesson. There were a few rough patches. To be fair, Holly is new to driving and has never driven Joel's car before. ( I have every confidence that she will master driving very soon) At one point though, I thought we might head into a garage door. So in my mind, Joel is already filling out insurance forms and I don't know how or why he isn't yelling. There is adrenaline coursing through my body, but not him. He gently reaches over and pulls the wheel towards him while explaining that hard turns are going to require her to crank the wheel a lot more. This is the same guy who rage quits video games when they start to lag (probably a bad example because I am beginning to think this is very common practice) but the point is that he surprises me. Not because I know him backwards and forwards and this side of him baffles me, but because its rare to see a human put themselves aside so naturally. 



When I began college I declared a Mathematics major. I wanted to teach. I wanted to contribute to society and the objective nature of math and I always got along. After running about 3 dance practices I realized I'm absolutely awful at translating whats in my brain to words. I'm lucky with dance and when all else fails I just have play "Monkey see, Monkey do", but I still feel flustered and lost sometimes and when I am frustrated with myself its easy for people to feel like they might be the problem. I think that makes me jealous of Joel's patience, because I have so little with myself sometimes. I can wait in line for a roller coaster for hours while Joel just gets anxious and thinks we can use our time better, but I could never teach someone to drive. I would kill us both and the driver would think it was all their fault. Teaching isn't for me and I will hopefully live vicariously through him and his career.
Lastly, 
Holly has said she looks up to Joel, but I think Joel is equally lucky for her.

New song I'm loving and it seems wildly appropriate:   

Love you -that one girl



No comments:

Post a Comment