Friday, March 6, 2015

I'm Katherine Jayne Parker.

Its so stuffy though. I don't identify with it, except to say that it represents my mothers obsession with Old English everything. She is one short step away from dipping her french fries in Mayonnaise and because of her constant love of classic English literature and nowadays Sunday nights with Downton, I live my life with a label shared by Queens and an original Hollywood scarlet who everyone my age has never heard of and assumes she's the sister of Audrey. No pressure, right?
But the truth is that my mom is the Queen, but that is a long and treasured story for a future rainy day post. I'm trying to introduce myself here.
After, what I refer to as, my identity crisis I decided to cut it down to one syllable and went with "Kate" but it didn't take very well. So I'm still in this identity crisis and its leads to just a few thousand nicknames and people just not using my name at all...not okay.
However, I know who I am, you can decide what you want to call me.
This is me tonight, staying up way too late, per usual.

The name of this very humble blog comes from my theme song, written and sung by the amazing Brett Dennen. I have this theory about people and I truly believe that hate only comes from a lack of love. Love is my Superhero. It comes to my rescue every day of my life and I pursue it diligently. I'm not speaking of romantic love (though I've been chasing that since I was three years old). I'm speaking of the inexplicable joy that human beings are capable of. In this cosmic universe of bouncing atoms and random mutations and adaptations, we are driven by the instinct to find and keep love. You could debate this is a psychological need to have a witness to our life or purely an evolutionary need to keep our species going. You could break it down into human chemistry and discuss how its all just our brains tricking us consistently. The truth is though, we need oxygen. We need a whole lot of hydrogen and half as many oxygen to share their electrons. Proteins. Carbohydrates. And fats and sleep. But our search doesn't end with just the things we need to survive. We don't get up to go to work so that we can have just those things. We don't volunteer or study, snuggle, parent or do the laundry in a journey to find just what we need.  We aren't happy with  those bare necessities. We need people and passions, pets, touch and things to feel whole. We need to feel loved and give love and without it, we are trapped. So, love will come set her free. I believe in God, the world and myself enough to believe that there is an infinite supply of love out there for me to find and it will make me more, myself.
I fall in love every day, mostly with people, but also with things, ideas and dreams. With dance moves and ice cream flavors, cut off sweatpants and simple conversations with strangers. Everything from deep philosophical arguments to the poop jokes that my niece uncontrollably laughs at. I find myself with a constant reminders that this world is beautiful. I hope to share them and my struggles here, with you, if you'd like.

enjoy my song.. I have weird taste in music. 

More theories and more love to come.


-that one girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment